March will be over soon and April will begin the start of this year’s garden activities. Here are some early things to consider in your plans for the growing season.
- This year we plan to open April 18th but will stagger the numbers of persons working that day and determine other days and times to complete the opening.
- We will use our 2020 COVID-19 guidelines requiring masks and doing social distancing until we can review in summer any changes to this. One change to last year is that we will allow use of our shed garden tools but you will need to wash them before putting them away. Soap will be available to do this.
- On opening day and other work days to be announced we concentrate on getting the grounds ready for the season. Our grounds committee co-chairs Marsha and Kate will coordinate this work. You can call Marsha at 279-0213 to indicate your preference.
- We also need volunteers to adopt a fruit tree for care during the season and the chair for this is Corrina who can be reached at 212-3901.
- This year Bob, 881-1796 will coordinate taking care of the asparagus patch. The herb garden located by the Midvale street entrance is run by Elisa who is at 235-4728 and could use a partner.
- Each gardener is expected to participate in at least one activity besides your own plot. Anyone willing to adopt the strawberry patch can call me…..we plan to add plants to it and have them ready to go as soon as the soil warms to 55 degrees.
- Two new things this year are a mushroom patch and an offering of tomato plants that will be available to gardeners. More information will be forthcoming about this in early May.
Thanks for your cooperation on making 2021 a fun and successful gardening experience!
Charles Bylsma, MGC chair. 233-3967