May 6, 2013
Attending: Paul, Najwa, Christy, Julie G, Ann K, Dawn?, Ann also joined us
The garden is open! Yay! Tell us how opening went!
- Monica got a twisty cultivator
- Painting our tools
- Wasps in the shed — how do we eradicate this?
- Phil Peliterri is teaching at Najwa’s class.
- Will someone be able to get them at night?
- We probably need to ID the wasps
- Paul or Julie can take pictures and send to Phil P.
- Let’s try to get this resolved this week.
- What do other gardens do? Christy check with CAC
- Red bench installation plans. How can the community garden help the school garden?
- sounds like this project might not be happening anymore.
- maybe revisit the patio plan again
- Paul Getting an estimate on adding more water spigots – one up, one down, possibly a slight increase in pressure.
- Estimate underway. Plumbing folks were onsite today.
- Rebecca LaRose will repair the horse
- Bulletin board on shed needs repair
fruit trees, shrubs, & vines najwa, phil
- 3 figs have arrived!
- put these in the area south of the shed
- kiwi are expensive
- put these on one side of the grape arbor with the weaker side
- lots of trees came back successfully!
- Everything has broke bud! Plums are looking good!
- Serviceberries are in bloom.
block the bindweed
- Christy – pulled a few tiny seedlings from the guild over this past weekend.
permaculture guild christy
- Christy – adding thyme divisions
- Najwa’s vision – extend the permaculture area into the pear trees.
- Next work day is May 19 4-6pm
- To do for May:
- Weed permaculture guild
- Distribute remaining compost from our bins to the trees
- Roof garden: bucket brigade to get some compost up there.
- Ask people to bring sedum for the roof garden!
- would thyme work?
- Pick up trash, bring a bag for this to make it a little easier – Ann
- Wrap colored tape – Ann K will bring tape
- moving the hay bales
- String trimming — see if someone wants to do this
- Thinking ahead to June:
- Weed permaculture guild
- Lay down newspaper in the guild and cover with mulch (could we get a shipment of wood chip type mulch for the guild?)
- Dawn will attend September’s and possibly also July’s
Can we ask the city to put a public trash bin along Midvale
put in an order for wood chip mulch — Christy put in an order for this
- Everyone needs to use the smaller compost bins closer to the school until the large ones closer to the tool shed are empty.
school garden monica
- Current projects: Red bench installation (CG will help SG)
- Midvale plant sale is May 11th, 8-1, Midvale Elementary School, 502 Caromar
budget & purchasing ann k
- Big budget items: more spigots. School garden will pay for the one that gets added to their end. As well as hoses, etc.
web ann w
- Christy: updated the volunteer section of the website
links & info